Winner of 2008 Keystone Award: Best Housing Design
2008 CHBA/TRU Training House & YMCA DREAM HOME
This 2550 square foot, 1½ storey house is located in the award winning geothermal community of Sun Rivers. The architectural theme of this neighbourhood is Old English Country and many of the characteristics of this style were incorporated into the design of this home.
I was born and raised in Kamloops and have been working towards my dream of designing houses for the past 16 years. I remember hearing about the Dream Home Lottery years ago and wanting to design the house one day. I want to thank the CHBA and TRU for keeping this initiative going for so long. It has given so many students the skills needed to be successful in the real world and has raised a lot of money for community causes. I am proud to have donated the house design for the 2008 YMCA Dream Home Lottery!
About the Design
I considered the orientation of the site and designed the house to best suit each strength it offers such as angling the front entrance to encompass both streets framing this corner lot; allowing as much natural light into the house as possible, while bearing in mind what time of day the sun will be shining through the windows and when you’d prefer the light in each room; as well as considering how much heat will come through those windows – the only window fully exposed on the hot south face is the one featuring the spectacular view in the bonus room and the heat issue can be addressed with window coverings. I have also greatly considered traffic flow, grouping like areas together, keeping other areas private, and providing logical paths to ensure the house is smooth and efficient to live in.
Features of the YMCA Dream Home
- Larger than standard Double Garage
- Covered Entrance & 2 Courtyards
- Grand Foyer & Curved Staircase
- Vaulted Ceilings with a Library Area overlooking the main features of the home
- Unique Kitchen and large Walk-In-Pantry
- Dining Room with area to extend the table when needed
- Large Private Covered Patio
- Master Suite discreetly tucked away with plenty of space
- Private Ensuite featuring a large Walk-In-Shower
- 2 other large Bedrooms & a Bonus Room
- Large room in the Basement perfect for a Games Room or Theatre Room